Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Can you hear me?

Wow, we had a great meeting on Sunday in Faribault. I know that Brian wants to expound upon some of the things we talked about, so I will let him work those thoughts out and post them here when he is ready. In the mean time, you can check out Simeonconnects.com for some great stuff from people from our group there as well.

Do you know what the voice of God sounds like?

Right now at the Roberts house, we are trying to make a few tough decisions. So, since there are 3 believers here, we all decided to pray for a few days, and listen for God to tell us which of 2 specific things was the right thing to do. We explained the importance of this to Cameron, the 9 year old, and talked about Jesus, James, John and Peter in the garden. We prayed together and covenanted to pray over the next few days, asking God for an answer.

Today we came together to talk about what God said. Brian and I both got very clear answers, the same answer (go figure :) Cameron said that he didn't hear from God. We asked if he thought he had put in the time speaking to God the way he should have, and he of course said no.

Here is the thing...if you don't speak to God on a regular basis, how will you know what His voice sounds like? I hear all the time, from non-believers and believers alike, "I asked God for an answer but He ignored my prayers" Well, my response to this from now on is going to be, "Do you talk to Him enough to know what His voice sounds like?" Perhaps He is screaming at you, but you can't hear Him because you are not in-tuned enough to His "frequency".

Lynda Ellison and I were at a ministry event the other day, and saw a woman standing a few feet away that we recognized from another ministry we are involved in. So we went to say hello, because that's what you do. Mary Anne, the other woman, looked at us as we walked up and after we said hello, she said, "I thought I recognized you standing over there, but didn't know who you were until you started talking." I laughed and said, "Oh man, is that bad?" and she said, "No, I just recognize voices. Once you started talking, I remembered who you were."

God isn't like Mary Anne...He recognizes you immediately because He created you, every hair on your head and the breath that you breathe comes from Him. He doesn't need to wait for you to start talking before he realizes who you are...He wants you to talk to Him though!

You should be like Mary Anne...as soon as God says something to you, you should recognize the voice as His and be ready to listen. But you never will if you don't open those lines of communication. MR

1 comment:

  1. You know, we've been working through some of the same issues in our house. Devin has been asking as well as Maya (two 10 year olds) how God talks to us.

    I explained to them how God talks to me, but it is different for everyone. I was able to share this with them and they seem to understand that - in order to know what God's voice sounds like, you have to constantly talk to Him.

    I miss the days of my baby Christianity when God would talk through burning bushes...but now He uses so many different ways to get my attention it's exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

    Sometimes as believers we confuse the facts, and say that God is ignoring me or not answering my prayers. Somtiems he seems as silent as the grave - but He's always there! He knows whats best for us and protects us through every trial.

    God is moving, talking and trying to get our attention...SHUT UP and LISTEN!

    ReplyDelete